Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Dairy free take on a traditional comfort food
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes: Vegan version of a sweet potato recipe from a recent issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine.
Martha's sweet potato recipe called for fresh goat cheese or chevre. We used silken tofu, lemon juice and nutritional yeast instead.
Pick large sweet potatoes with a regular oval shape for this recipe.
Total prep & cook time: 75 minutes
Nutrition Data, 108g Serving: 137 cal, 48 cal from fat, 6g fat, 17g carb, 5g protein, 3g fiber, 129mg sodium, 4g sugars, low cholesterol, good source Vit B12, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Copper, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 7
- 2 large sweet potatoes (3/4 - 1 lb each), compact oval shape, not long & skinny
- 4 ounces firm silken tofu
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 recipe Walnut Crumb Topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place potatoes on a sheet of foil in a baking dish and bring the foil up over the potatoes to cover loosely
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Test for doneness by piercing with a fork or sharp knife
- Let the potatoes cool enough to handle
- Slice in half horizontally
- Scoop out the potato, leaving 1/4 inch of the potato in the skins
- Process the potato with the silken tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper in a food processor until the mixture is smooth
- Spoon into the potato skins, mounding the filling
- Arrange the potato halves in a baking dish and sprinkle with the Walnut Crumb Topping
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Serve immediately
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us