Tofu, Pasta and Veggies
Fried tofu, pasta, steamed veggies, sauce, dairy or non-dairy cheese
Quick & easy, kid friendly tofu pasta & veggie recipe, delicious with sauces, like pesto, tomato sauce, non-dairy cheesey sauce or fresh herbs, lemon & olive oil.
Vary the sauces, veggies and pasta, and you can serve this for several meatless meals a week. Add beans instead of tofu if you prefer.
This tofu pasta recipe is high protein and high calorie, an ideal dish for active metabolisms, athletic people, and growing children or teens.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 30 Min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 182g: 300 cal, 44g carb, 6g fat, 72mg sodium, 4g fiber, 12g protein, low Saturated Fat & Cholesterol, good source Vit A, C, Manganese and Selenium. Estimated glycemic load 28
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder and|or 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 lb pasta, penne or rotini (sub brown rice pasta for GF)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped in 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans OR frozen, added 2 minutes before the end of cooking
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional: Tomato sauce or pesto in place of olive oil. Thin with a little cooking water as needed
- Optional: Fresh or dried herbs to taste: parsley, basil, oregano or thyme
- Optional: Add fresh ground black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil
- Cut the tofu in 1/2" slices
- Marinade: Mix powdered garlic and|or onion with Braggs or soy sauce
- Place tofu in a shallow container (plate, plastic food container or baking dish), sprinkle with marinade, and turn to coat well
- Let tofu marinate for 5 - 15 minutes
- Chop the veggies and set aside.
- Heat the oil on medium in a heavy non stick pan
- Add the marinated tofu and fry 5 minutes each side, turning with a spatula. Set aside. Blot excess oil with paper towels if you like.
- Add broccoli and carrots to a steamer basket over boiling water
- Cover & steam for 5 - 10 minutes, until just tender
- Add pasta to the boiling water, bring back to boil, stirring, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 - 7 minutes, or until al dente
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Add olive oil, tomato sauce or pesto, fresh or dried herbs. Thin sauce with reserved water as needed
- Cut the fried tofu into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the veggies & tofu to the pasta and mix gently
- Optional: Serve sprinkled with dairy or non-dairy shredded cheese or parmesan cheese
For a lower calorie, lower GI, GF version: omit or reduce the olive oil, and use a low fat sauce. Double the veggies and half the pasta. Switch to GF noodles. Skip the cheese. Add some digestive spices like pepper, cayenne, cumin, mustard or ginger to the marinade.
Time Saving Tip: Instead of steaming separately, cook the veggies with the pasta OR add frozen veggies to pasta in the last 3 minutes of cooking.
I made this today...it's super yummy! The only thing I did different is that I used cilantro instead of parsley. I think it worked really well. Thanks for the great recipe! :) Tami C.
I learned a trick from one of the books on tofu, FREEZE extra firm tofu. When you defrost it and cook it, it has a wonderful texture. I use Wildwood organic sprouted tofu extra firm. Nasoya organic sprouted super firm tofu is another brand I use. FREEZING AND DEFROSTING really makes a difference.....A VERY NICE TEXTURE. Susan D.
More Pasta Recipes:
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us
More Easy Tofu Recipes
Tofu Sloppy Joes
Tofu Stir Fry With Bak Choy
Back To Recipes Index