Presto Manifesto Vegan Lasagna
Creamy tofu lasagna recipe with tofu, pesto, grilled veggies
Presto Manifesto Vegan Lasagna: Creamy lasagna with grilled veggies, tofu, pesto, whole grain noodles, from Vegan World Fusion Cuisine.
If you don't have a grill, sautéing works. If pesto isn't possible, use marinara sauce. Omit or substitute as needed. Layer in veggie shreds for cheesy lasagna.
Presto Manifesto Vegan Lasagna featured on SV Blog, one of 10 High Protein Vegan Recipes!
Total Prep & Cook Time: 90 Minutes
Yield: 10 Servings
Nutrition Data, 270g Serving: 517 cal, 43g carb, 32g fat, 78mg sodium, 4g fiber, 19g protein, low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 26
- 1 pkg lasagna noodles (9 - 12 noodles) (recipe calls for whole grain noodles)
- Approx. 3 cups pesto - see recipe below or use Basil Pine Nut Pesto
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, peeled & minced (omit or decrease if you're not a big garlic fan)
- 5 cups grilled or sautéed veggies - choose from zucchini, eggplant, red or green bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, or your favorites
- Tofu Filling:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional: 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 lb extra firm tofu (press firm tofu to make it extra firm) - crumbled
- 6 Tbsp roasted Tahini
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced basil leaves (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 - 4 medium tomatoes, 1/4" slice
- Optional: 2 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- Optional: Vegan shredded cheese
- 2 1/2 cup basil, tightly packed
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup macadamia or pine nuts (walnuts will also work)
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp shoyu, or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
SV Note: If using whole grain noodles, either don't cook them, or plunge in boiling water just until they're softened, then rinse with cold water. That way, they'll stay in one piece!
- Boil water in a large pot. Add a tsp of olive oil and the noodles. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until pasta is al dente (5 - 7 minutes). Rinse in cold water, set aside
- Grill veggies, slice thin, set aside. Or slice thin and sauté after onions and garlic
- Filling: Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté onion and garlic 5 minutes
- If you're not grilling the veggies, add them and sauté 5 minutes
- Mix tofu with tahini, basil, Italian parsley, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, cayenne, salt & pepper to taste. Set aside
- Pesto: process all ingredients in a food processor or blender
- SV Note: If you don't have machines, chop and mix by hand
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly oil the pan. Layer noodles, 1/3 pesto, tofu mixture, veggies, optional shredded vegan cheese - twice
- Finish with a layer of pasta, then tofu, then pesto
- Garnish with sliced tomatoes and black sesame seeds or shredded vegan cheese
- Bake until lasagna is thoroughly heated, 30 - 40 minutes
- Optional: Broil for a few minutes to brown the top if you're using vegan cheese
- Turn off oven and leave lasagna in the oven 10 more minutes
- Remove from oven and cool 10 - 15 minutes before serving
Use a 9 x 13 glass or stainless steel casserole dish.
We found it easier NOT to use whole grain lasagna noodles. If you use whole grain noodles, it's best to just soften the noodles in hot water, rather than cook them, so they'll stay in one piece. Vary the veggies as you like.
If basil pesto is out of season, try parsley walnut pesto - fantastic anytime of year!
I never made lasagna from scratch, let alone a tasty vegan lasagna! To help ease my fear, I purchased Barilla's No-Boil Lasagna noodles. The grocery store did not have shoyu sauce or tahini so I bought pre-made pesto sauce and mixed in pine nuts. I substituted 3 Tbsp of peanut butter for the tahini! My meat-eating boyfriend shared the lasagna with his friends and they were in disbelief that a vegan dish could be so delicious! JoannaMae A.
Awesome, JoannaMae! - Judith Kingsbury, Savvy Vegetarian
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us