GF Rosemary Focaccia Bread
Italian vegan bread recipe with olive oil, rosemary, gf flour mix
Easy GF Italian Focaccia Bread has a short rising time and no kneading. One of the best things about this recipe is the low carbs & low glycemic index.
We love this focaccia bread with vegan cream cheese and avocado slices sprinkled with salt & pepper. It's delicious with Quinoa Garbanzo Bean Italian Vegetable Soup or green salad.
In addition to all purpose GF flour mix, choose from amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa or teff flour.
Total prep & cook time: 1 hr 30 min
Yield: Two 9 inch rounds OR a 10x14 inch rectangle. 12 Servings
Nutrition Data, 55g Serving: 143 calories, 37 Calories from Fat, 24g carbs, 4g fat, 198mg sodium, 2g fiber, 4g protein, 2g Sugar, low Sat. Fat, low Cholesterol, Estimated glycemic load 14
For this recipe, you'll need a large mixing bowl, and two 9 inch cake or pie pans OR one 10x14 inch cake or cookie pan.
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour mix
- 1/2 cup whole grain gluten free flour (use amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa or teff)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dried leaves coarsely ground or chopped
- 1 Tbsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm non-dairy milk
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp 'pixie dust': 2 parts gr flax seed, 1 part gr chia seed, 1 part psyllum husk powder, adapted from Jean Layton's pixie dust recipe. Alternate: use 2 Tbsp gr flax seed
- Fine cornmeal
- Toppings: Olive oil, fresh or dried rosemary leaves, coarse salt or garlic salt
- Dissolve sugar in warm water
- Sprinkle in 1 pkg active dry yeast, let sit 10 minutes or until it foams up
- Heat the non-dairy milk until warm. Mix in pixie dust or ground flax seed, apple cider vinegar and oil
- Combine dry ingredients including rosemary
- Oil two 9 inch round cake or pie pans, or a 10x14 cake or cookie pan
- Sprinkle the pans with fine cornmeal, set aside
- Combine milk mixture with yeast mixture
- Stir into dry ingredients to make a thick batter
- Spoon half the batter into each pan, and carefully spread with a spatula
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Spread 1 - 2 tsp oil over dough, smoothing & evening out the dough
- Sprinkle fresh or dried rosemary leaves on top of the dough, pressing into the dough with your fingers
- Sprinkle salt or garlic salt if using
- Cover pans with damp cloth and set on stove to rise for 30 minutes
- After 20 minutes, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using your thumb, make shallow depressions 2 inches apart in the dough OR prick all over with a fork
- Bake bread 10 minutes or until firm to the touch, middle of the oven
- To brown the top more, set the bread under the broiler for 1 minute
- Lift bread from pans with a spatula, and cool on a rack
Coarsely grind dried rosemary leaves in a spice grinder, crush with your fingers, or chop with a chef's knife.
Yeast should be fresh, i.e. recently purchased, not sitting in a cupboard for a year. Throw that out and buy fresh - it doesn't cost much.
We used Westsoy brand organic unsweetened soy milk, which is soybeans and water, nothing else. Almond or hemp milk will also work well in this recipe.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us