Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Easy vegan cream soup recipe, amazingly delicious & satisfying
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup: I have to confess that I'm not a big mushroom eater, and I have traumatic childhood memories of canned mushroom soup in various disguises.
But one of our newsletter subscribers requested a cream of mushroom soup recipe, so I gave it a try. Success!
To my surprise, this easy, delicious, satisfying FRESH mushroom soup banished all my mushroom trauma. It's my new favorite way of cooking mushrooms.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 35 min
Yield: 4 small or 2 lg servings
Nutrition Data, 196 g Serving (approx 1 1/2 cup): 127 cal, 13g carb, 6g fat, 2g sugars, 196mg sodium, 1g fiber, 4g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit A, C, K, folate. Estimated glycemic load 6
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups sliced white mushrooms (12 - 16 oz fresh whole mushrooms)
- 1 cups low sodium vegetable soup stock OR 1 c. water + 1 unsalted vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup red or white cooking wine OR 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried tarragon or marjoram leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
- White sauce (see ingredients and directions below)
White Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp flour. For gf, use chickpea flour or rice flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or soy milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Vegan sour cream or yogurt for garnish
White Sauce Directions:
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to a 1 qt saucepan
- Stir oil and flour together in a saucepan. Cook on low until the mixture browns slightly and starts to bubble
- Stir in almond or soy milk, heat and stir with a whisk on medium until sauce starts to boil, then simmer until thickened, stirring constantly
- Remove 1/4 cup of the cooked mushrooms with a slotted spoon or strainer and set aside
- Heat 1 tsp oil on medium low in a saute or fry pan
- Peel and mince garlic
- Wash and stem mushrooms, slice thin
- Sauté the garlic 1 minute
- Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown and soften. Don't mind a bit of sticking.
- Add vegetable stock, wine, and dried tarragon & thyme
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes
- Add the white sauce to the mushroom broth. Puree with a stick blender or in a jar blender until smooth
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Chop the reserved mushrooms and mix with the chopped parsley
- Serve soup garnished with vegan sour cream or yogurt, and the chopped mushroom|parsley mixture.
Vegetable soup stock from a carton is just fine for this recipe, or vegetable bouillon cubes.
If you have time, making your own soup stock is quick and easy, raises recipes to gourmet status, and impresses people like crazy!
I used white mushrooms for a lighter colored soup Use any kind of mushrooms you like, but darker mushrooms will give a darker color and different flavor to the soup.
I like almond or soy milk best for this soup but use whatever you have on hand or prefer, as long as its unflavored and unsweetened.
Sodium is added to most commercial non-dairy milks, (except Westsoy Organic Soy Milk), and also to store bought vegetable stock, so taste before salting the soup.