Easy Vegan Recipe: Barbecue Tempeh Sandwich
30 Minute Vegan's Famous BBQ Sauce = A Rockin' Tempeh Sandwich
Barbecue Tempeh Sandwich: From the 30 Minute Vegan cookbook by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray, publisher Da Capo Lifelong, Perseus Group ©2009.
Tempeh makes a rockin' veg sandwich! And 30 Minute Vegan's BBQ Sauce gets rave reviews from countless satisfied customers!
You can also serve the barbecued tempeh cutlets over quinoa, rice or other grain, and top with the BBQ sauce.
BBQ Tempeh Sandwich featured on SV Blog, one of 10 High Protein Vegan Recipes!
Total prep & cook time: 30 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 310g: 513 cal, fat cal 158, 39g carbs, 21g fat, 506mg sodium, 12g sugars, 5g fiber, 29g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit K, Phosphorous, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 23
BBQ Sandwich Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or coconut oil
- 2 (8 oz) pkg tempeh, cut crosswise into 4 cutlets
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (recipe follows)
- 8 slices whole-grain bread or other bread of choice, toasted (optional)
- 8 leaves lettuce
- 1 lg tomato, sliced
- 4 red onion slices
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp molasses or barley malt syrup, OR 2 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp chile powder (try chipotle)(note: use a lot less if you don't want it too hot)
- 1 1/2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp Dijon or stone-ground mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Place the soy sauce, water, and oil in a small dish and add the tempeh cutlets. Marinate 5 min., flipping few times to evenly coat
- Place the tempeh and marinade ingredients in a baking pan and cook for 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for 10 more minutes
- While the tempeh is baking, prepare the BBQ sauce. combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well
- Pour some BBQ sauce over the tempeh while it is baking
- When the tempeh is finished cooking, place the cutlet on the bread, toasted if you wish, with the remaining ingredients, and as much BBQ sauce as you like
- Store any extra sauce in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Replace the tempeh with an equal amount of tofu
- Serve on toasted sourdough, rye bread, or an artisan bread such as olive-rosemary - or a bun as shown in the picture above
- Add 1 Tbsp of minced garlic or peeled & minced ginger to the tempeh marinadel
- For BBQ Sauce: if you don't have ketchup, replace it with one 6-ounce can tomato paste + 1/4 cup water
- Tempeh Reuben: prepare the tempeh as above. Create a Russian dressing with 1 c. Vegan Mayonnaise, 1 c. ketchup, finely diced lg dill pickle. Serve on whole-grain bread with sauerkraut and tomato slices
Tempeh is made from fermented whole soybeans, pressed into a cake with a distinctive, "meaty" flavor, and is very high in protein. Find tempeh in the cooler section of grocery stores near the tofu.
This Barbecue Sauce is also great with rice or quinoa dishes, stir fries, veggie burgers, tempura.
Create a BBQ Burrito, by chopping up the baked tempeh, and combining with rice, beans and the BBQ Sauce in a wrap.
Marinate the tempeh longer, or overnight, for a deeper flavor
Buy The 30 Minute Vegan
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us