Quick and Easy Zucchini Bread Recipe
Cinnamon Flavored, Not Too Sweet, Nuts & Raisins Added
Our zucchini bread recipe is great for breakfast or brunch, as a snack or dessert, with a light soup or salad.
Make it vegetarian if you like, but I think our egg & dairy free version is perfect - all the tasters loved it, especially with nuts and raisins.
Like most quick breads, this zucchini bread recipe works as long as you keep the basic proportions and method. It can easily be doubled, and it freezes well.
Total prep & cook time: 60 min
24 Servings: Makes 2 large loaves or 3 small loaves.
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 77 g: 240 cal., 75 cal. from fat, 38g carbohydrate, 9g fat, 156mg sodium, 13g sugars, 3g dietary fiber, 5g protein, low Saturated Fat, very low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load: 23
Zucchini Bread Ingredients:
- Wet Ingredients:
- 4 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup soy or almond milk (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw cane sugar or Turbinado sugar
- Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups unbleached white flour - wheat or spelt
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- Other Ingredients:
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups grated zucchini, packed (approx. 1 lg zucchini
- 1 cup raisins
- Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Version:
- 1/2 cup dairy instead of non-dairy milk
- 1 cup melted butter instead of oil
- 4 eggs instead of flax, cornstarch, water & lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Oil the bread pans, and lightly sprinkle the bottoms with flour. Shake the pans to coat with flour
- Mix together the wet ingredients: water, lemon juice, soy or almond milk, sugar, vanilla and ground flax seed
- Grate and measure the zucchini, packed
- Soak the raisins in 1 cup hot water for 5 minutes, then drain
- Chop & measure the walnuts
- Measure & mix the dry ingredients: flours, spices, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, salt
- Mix the zucchini, nuts and raisins with the wet ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix lightly with just a few strokes
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the oiled pans
- Bake for 45 - 60 min, middle of the oven, until browned & firm to the touch
- Cool on a rack in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out to onto a rack to finish cooling
- Cool for at least half an hour before slicing. Zucchini bread tastes better completely cooled, if you can wait that long!
The general rule with quick breads is that there should be equal amounts wet and dry ingredients. The wetness of the zucchini is the big variable. Add a little more liquid or less flour as needed to make a soft but not runny mixture.
This zucchini bread recipe calls for half the sugar and oil used in most zucchini bread recipes. It calls for a lot of cinnamon, but that works - it would otherwise be bland.
For ovo-lacto vegetarian zucchini bread, use eggs instead of ground flax seed, cornstarch, water and lemon juice, and butter instead of oil.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us