White Bean Italian Style Soup
Quick Easy Nourishing Delicious Vegan Bean Soup Recipe
White Bean Italian Style Soup: This is a great bean soup recipe to make when you're busy and tired, and need something quick, hot and nourishing for supper.
This vegan soup is delicious with any kind of bread or muffins, and a salad - or not.
It's yummy sprinkled with fake parmesan cheese for vegans, or grated parmesan cheese if you're lacto-veg.
Total prep & cook time: 45 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 258 g: 201 cal, 36g carb, 4g fat, 176mg sodium, 8g fiber, 8g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Folate, Potassium, Manganese, Vit A, Vit C. Estimated glycemic load: 14
- 1 can Great Northern or other white beans
- If you want to cook your own beans, see the directions below
- 2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 - 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil OR 1 Tbsp fresh minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram OR 1 Tbsp fresh minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, OR several fresh sprigs
- 1/2 tsp dried ground fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 6 cups boiling water or unsalted soup stock
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp minced fennel leaves (feathery tops) as garnish
- Heat the oil in an 8 - 10 quart pan
- Prep the veggies
- Add the hing or garlic to the oil
- Add the veggies and sauté 5 minutes on med/high heat
- Add the herbs and spices, sauté briefly
- Add the boiling water, simmer 15 - 20 minutes or until veggies are tender
- Remove about 2 cups vegetables (except carrots) with broth, and puree in a blender. Or use a food processor, food mill, blender stick, stiff whisk, or potato masher
- Pour the puree back into soup
- Drain and rinse the beans, then add to soup
- Cook on low another 5 - 10 minutes
- Add soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste, and minced fresh fennel leaves just before serving
Bean Cooking Directions:
- Note - This makes enough beans for a second batch, to freeze, or make a double soup recipe. Using a pressure cooker greatly reduces cooking time, but don't omit the soaking!
- Soak 1 c. of beans 8 hours.
Use hot water & change several times to cut soaking time in half
- Drain & rinse the soaked beans, cover with cold water to cover & bring to a boil
- Boil ten minutes & skim the foam
- Cover & simmer for 1 - 2 hours, until falling-apart tender
This Italian bean soup recipe calls for canned beans, but you can cook your own very easily - it just takes more time to soak and cook, so you have to plan ahead and start the beans the day before, or pressure cook them.
A jar blender works best to puree the soup, but a stick blender also works, or a stiff whisk or other pureeing or mashing device, with a variety of results.
More bean cooking tips and directions
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us