Vegan Coconut Almond Macaroons
One of Three Quick & Easy Coconut Macaroon Recipes!
Coconut Almond Macaroons: This recipe is adapted from Wanda Beaver's 'Pie In The Sky'. Her dessert cookbook is so divine, we want to veganize all her recipes!
For Purists: We have quick & easy Plain Coconut Macaroons.
Chocolate Lover's Variation: on the above recipe for coconut macaroons, adapted from The Joy of Cooking.
Yield: 3 Dozen 2 inch Cookies
Total Prep & Cook Time: 60 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 19g: 79 calories, 7g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 16 mg sodium, 1g fiber, 2g protein, low Cholesterol, good source oManganese. Estimated glycemic load: 4
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups finely shredded coconut
- 2 1/3 cups finely ground blanched almonds - use a spice grinder, small food processor, or stick blender jar attachment
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (finely grated lemon peel)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 2/3 cup of warm coconut milk*
- *We used full fat coconut milk, but Lite would work too - it's the egg replacer that holds the cookies together
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Mix together the icing sugar, coconut, almonds, almond extract, and lemon zest
- Whisk the egg replacer with the warm coconut milk until foamy
- Stir the the egg replacer mixture into the coconut almond mixture until thoroughly mixed
- Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheets
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan
- The flavors in these cookies benefit if allowed time to develop. They are yummy the same day you make them and truly divine the next day
- Try Plain and Chocolate Coconut Macaroons