Red Wine-Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Oven Roasted Sprouts With Baby Carrots & Red Peppers
Red Wine-Roasted Brussel Sprouts: Sample recipe from Nava Atlas's excellent cookbook, Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
The slightly sweet glaze gives brussels sprouts and their companion vegetables a rich flavor; carrots and red peppers give a beautiful taste and color contrast.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Data, 174g Serving: 80 cal, cal from fat 4, 4g sugars, 15g carb, 0g fat, 129mg sodium, 6g fiber, 5g protein, low cholesterol, good source Vit A, C, K, B6, Folate, Manganese, Potassium. Estimated glycemic load 5
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds brussel sprouts, stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips, about 2 inches long
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- For this recipe you'll need a large shallow glass or enamel roasting pan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Transfer ingredients to a foil lined roasting pan
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until the vegetables are touched with brown spots here and there and nicely glazed
- Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm until needed, or serve at once
I added 2 tsp of oil to the coating mix, and reduced the soy sauce by that amount, as I don't mind a little fat, but I do mind my sodium.
For less crunchy veggies cover the dish with a lid or foil for the first half of baking, and reduce the heat to 350 degrees. Then they'll steam in their own juices.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us