Quick Easy Spicy Refried Black Beans
Vegan bean recipe, for burritos, quesadillas, tostadas, dip or spread
Vegan Refried Black Beans are a delicious way to prepare black beans, canned or home cooked.
This recipe is chunkier and spicier than our refried pinto beans.
Eat versatile refried black beans in burritos, quesadillas, tostadas, as a dip or sandwich spread.
Total Prep And Cook Time: 20 minutes
Nutrition Data, 38g Serving: 107 cal, 17g carb, 2g fat, 178 mg sodium, 4g fiber, 6g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Thiamin & Folate. Estimated glycemic load 7
- 3 cups cooked black beans with reserved cooking liquid
- OR: Two 15 oz can black beans, drained & reserve the liquid
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 - 4 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 red bell pepper minced
- 1 - 2 Tbsp seeded & minced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 tsp. gr. cumin
- 1 tsp. gr. coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch chipotle powder or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp apple cider or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- Mince the garlic, onion, and peppers separately
- Heat the oil on med-low in a frying pan. Add minced fresh onion and garlic
- Sauté until garlic and onion are soft but not browned
- Add the peppers and sauté until soft
- Add cumin, coriander and paprika and fry for 1 minute
- Stir in the salt, vinegar, molasses and liquid smoke
- Stir in the black beans, then mash them roughly with a fork or potato masher. You can also pre-mash them in a food processor.
- Stir in bean cooking liquid a little at a time until the mixture is the desired consistency
If you're going to soak and cook beans, it's worth making extra, to freeze in small amounts for future meals (think soup or salad or veggie burgers - see more black recipes below).
If you don't have time to cook beans, stock up on canned black beans - an extremely handy pantry staple.
It's very easy to double or triple this recipe - you might need a bigger pan though. Then you can fridge or freeze what you don't use for future quick and easy meals.
Black Bean Cooking Video