Quick Easy Vegan Beans & Brown Rice Recipe
Vegetarian Casserole Recipe: Brown rice, kidney beans, celery, garlic, ginger
This quick easy Red Beans and Rice recipe is the Caribbean contribution to the world wide family of rice and bean recipes. Variations on this recipe are found in every culture.
Enjoy red beans and rice as a main dish, with sautéed greens on the side - a simple, economical, filling, satisfying gluten free lunch.
Total prep & cook time: 35 min
Nutrition Data for 1 Serving: 197 calories, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 314 mg sodium, 8 g dietary fiber, 8 g protein. Low in saturated fat, very low in cholesterol. Good source of fiber, Vit. K and manganese. Estimated glycemic load: 13.
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking long grain brown rice OR regular slow cooking long grain brown rice
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 stalks celery
- Optional: Use 1/2 cup minced fresh yellow onion in addition or in place of the celery OR 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic OR 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper (remove seeds) OR a 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (1 - 2 thin slices, peeled OR 1/2 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 3/4 cup water or broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans (15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
- Heat oil on medium-low in a large shallow pan
- Rinse the rice and set aside to drain
- Wash and trim the celery, cut in thin pieces lengthwise, then slice thin
- Peel and finely chop the onion if using
- Peel, stem and mince the fresh garlic and ginger, if using
- Remove seeds from 1/2 jalapeno pepper, and mince
- Increase heat to medium and stir fry the veggies for 5 minutes
- Add the the rice and fry another 5 minutes
- Add the spices and stir fry 1 more minute
- Add the water or broth, salt and beans, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed
- NOTE: If you're using regular long grain brown rice, cook for 45 minutes. Stir in the beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking
- Stir in the fresh parsley and serve immediately
This quick easy vegetarian brown rice recipe is best cooked on the stove top in a sauté pan. I used celery, plus fresh ginger, garlic, jalapeno pepper and parsley, although onions are commonly used. Add them if you like, or substitute them for the celery.
Dried minced onion and garlic, canned minced green chilis, and dry ginger are time-saving options, but go for fresh parsley to make this recipe special.
Brown rice has a long cooking time, so I used quick cooking or parboiled brown rice. If you prefer, use regular brown rice, and add the beans 15 minutes before the end of cooking. I cooked dry kidney beans in the crockpot, after a quick soak, and froze what I didn't use for another day. Use canned beans if you don't have time.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us