Quinoa Black Bean Salad Recipe
Vegan Quinoa Black Bean Salad with a Mexican Flavor
Delicious vegan black bean salad, classic mexican flavor combo of black beans, lime, cilantro and jalapeno.
Quinoa black bean salad keeps well for a couple of days tightly covered in the fridge, and is an excellent take along meal. Serve warm or chilled.
Quinoa black bean salad is a great complete protein meal in a bowl. It goes well with tortilla chips & fresh salsa, or guacamole
Total Prep & Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 192g: 253 calories, 7g fat, 38g carbs, 254mg sodium, 9g fiber, 10g protein, low Saturated Fat & Cholesterol, good source Vit K, Folate, Magnesium, Manganese, Vit A, Vit C. Estimated glycemic load 17.
Scroll down to watch video.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (from 1/2 cup dry beans). If using canned beans (1 can), drain and rinse well
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, OR 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, peeled, halfed lengthwise, sliced thin diagonally
- 1 cup chopped fresh yellow or green beans
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 medium ripe tomato o4 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (juice of 1 or 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 Tbsp dried basil leaf
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch chipotle powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- The quinoa can be made ahead of time and refrigerated
- Rinse quinoa and drain through a large fine mesh strainer
- Place in a 2 qt pot with 1 1/2 c. water and 1/2 tsp salt
- Bring to a full boil, cover tightly, turn down to low, and cook for 12 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes covered
- Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and set aside to cool
- If using canned beans, drain, rinse and set aside to drain
- Sauté jalapeno, fresh garlic, in 1 Tbsp olive oil until softened but not browned
- Add the celery, carrot, green beans, green & red peppers and sauté 5 minutes
- Add the cumin and coriander, cook and stir 1 minute
- Add 1 Tbsp water, cover and steam 2 minutes
- Blend dressing ingredients with a whisk or shake in a jar
- Add quinoa, black beans, sautéed veggies, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh minced cilantro or basil, scallions, to a large bowl
- Pour on dressing and stir gently to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Serve quinoa salad warm, or cover and chill
Video and Recipe Tips:
If you're cooking beans, make extra to freeze or refrigerate for the next black bean salad recipe, maybe quinoa corn black bean salad, or plain old black bean salad.
Cook double the quinoa and use it the next day to make quinoa burgers, or enjoy breakfast quinoa.
Quinoa is a complete protein, gluten free, loaded with vitamins and minerals, with a nutty flavor and texture similar to rice. Use as a rice substitute in popular recipes like spanish quinoa
Helpful Quinoa Tips:
More quinoa info and tips
- Quinoa has high oil content, so it should be stored in the fridge or freezer to avoid becoming rancid
- A tight fitting lid is essential for even cooking
- Most quinoa sold in this country has been well cleaned, but quinoa is normally coated with saponin, which will give it a bitter taste unless you rinse it - those soapy bubbles and tiny flaky bits in the rinse water are the saponin.
- Because of it's high protein and oil content, quinoa is a satisfying meal with a few nuts or beans and veggies added (see recipes below)