Vegan Pumpkin Curry Soup
Quick & easy, savory & satisfying vegetable curry soup recipe
If you stocked up on canned pumpkin at the Thanksgiving sales, congratulations! You can warm your insides all winter long with this savory pumpkin curry soup.
If you were VERY clever and industrious and actually froze fresh pumpkin puree in the fall, you deserve a gold medal for your tasty soup.
If none of the above, canned pumpkin is always cheap enough to make pumpkin curry soup a thrifty winter treat.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 30 Min.
Nutrition Data Per Serving (1 cup, 240g): 75 cal, 3g fat, 28 cal from fat, 242mg sodium, 12g carb, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 2g protein. Low cholesterol, good source Vit A, C, E, Riboflavin, Potassium, Copper, Manganese. Estimated Glycemic Load 4
- 4 cups cooked pureed pumpkin, or two 14 oz cans pumpkin (950g)
- 1 1/2 cups plain unsweetened non-dairy milk (I prefer soy or almond milk) (360 ml)
- 1/2 - 1 cup water or vegetable stock (unsalted)(240 ml)
- 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (15 ml)
- 1/4 cup minced onion (or 1 tsp onion flakes)(60g)
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder) (2g)
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger (1/2 inch slice, peeled, 4g) or 1/2 tsp dry ginger (1g)
- 1 tsp gr coriander (2g)
- 1 tsp gr fennel (2g)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (1g)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (.5g)
- 1 pinch cloves, or Chinese 5 spice powder
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper to taste (1g)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or light molasses (9g)
- Blend pumpkin, non-dairy milk and water or stock in a food processor or blender or use a stick blender, whisk, or electric beater in a saucepan
- Heat oil on low in a fry pan
- Mince fresh onion, garlic and ginger if using. Sauté onion until soft, then add garlic & ginger and sauté until turning color.
- Add dry spices and stir for 1 minute or until heated through
- Add oil + spices to the pumpkin mixture. Rinse out the fry pan with a little stock or water and add that too.
- Blend again to make a smooth mixture
- Heat the soup on medium, stirring, until hot. Thin with more water or stock to desired consistency, and adjust seasonings.
- Serve sprinkled with nutmeg, smoked paprika, vegan parmesan or croutons if desired
Use fresh onion, garlic and ginger for best flavor if you possibly can.
If you're using a whisk instead of an electric blending implement, you'll have bits of onion, garlic and ginger in your soup. If you want a fully blended soup, use onion & garlic powder instead.
I made this soup almost thick enough to stand a spoon up in it (aka bisque). If you like thinner soup, increase the spicing a bit to compensate, and use all vegetable stock for more flavor, or add a bouillon cube.
For sweeter soup, double the sugar or molasses. For those sensitive to hot spice, leave out the cayenne and reduce the ginger.