Easy Healthy Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Potato Leek Soup - The Most Comforting and Satisfying Soup We Know
This easy, healthy and delicious vegan potato soup recipe is the ultimate comfort food of vegetarian soups - best served hot, in our oh-so-humble opinion! How thick you make it though, is strictly up to you.
You can serve potato leek soup cold and call it Vichysoisse, but we've never been keen on cold soups with fancy names.
Total prep & cook time: 30 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving: 174 cal, 34g carbs, 3g fat, 272mg sodium, 3g fiber, 3g protein, 3g sugars, low Saturated Fat & Cholesterol, good source Vit. B6, Vit. A, Vit. C, Vit. K. Estimated glycemic load: 14
- 2 lg leeks - tender pale green and white parts
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups unsalted soup stock OR 6 c water + 2 unsalted veggie bouillon cubes
- 1 Tbsp peeled, stemmed & minced fresh garlic (2 - 3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- 1 - 2 cups plain unsweetened rice or almond milk
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- Prep leeks, potatoes and garlic
- Cook potatoes in soup stock with salt and bay leaf
- Heat oil on medium in a large dutch oven or soup pot
- Sauté garlic and leeks until soft and turning golden
- Add potatoes & stock to the onions and garlic
- Cook for a few minutes more, until the potatoes are tender
- Remove the bay leaf!
- Puree with a stick blender or in 2 batches in a jar blender
- Add rice milk to thin to desired consistency
- Add salt & pepper to taste, and minced parsley
- Heat gently for a few minutes (don't boil), then serve
- Note: This can be made a day ahead, or in the crockpot
- 8 c. water
- 2 - 3 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 or two bay leaves
- 2 carrots, cut in chunks
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 handful of parsley
- Bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 30 min. - 1 hr
- Drain off the broth, and freeze what you don't use for another day's soup
Make your own crockpot soup stock, or use a veggie bouillon cube + water, then cook potato leek soup in just a few minutes.
Potato leek soup is extremely good - pretty much perfect in fact - served with crusty artisan bread and hummus.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us