Rich Delicious Pinto Bean Soup
Easy pinto bean soup recipe, with coconut milk & mild curry spice
Here's something easy to make with pinto beans besides refried beans!
This rich combination of pinto beans, yams, coconut milk, veggies and curry spice makes a satisfying, delicious, but easy soup or stew recipe.
Pinto Bean Soup is quite flexible, so feel free to omit and substitute according to your taste and ingredients you have on hand.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 45 min
Nutrition Info Per Serving, 184 g: 239 cal, 26g carb, 13g fat, 122mg sodium, 8g fiber, 7g protein, Estimated glycemic load 10
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yam or small butternut squash
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded. If you don't have it, use a pinch of cayenne
- 2 thin slices raw ginger, peeled, or 1/2 tsp dried, if you don't have fresh
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp brown mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp gr fennel
- 2 tsp dry basil leaves OR 2 Tbsp minced fresh
- 2/3 cup cocunut milk
- 2 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (OR 2 cans drained & rinsed))
- 2 cups water or bean cooking liquid
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Combine pinto beans, water, coconut milk, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and veggie cube. Heat on low
- Heat oil on low in a large sauté pan
- Mince the fresh jalapeno, ginger, and garlic
- Peel and cut the yam in 1 inch dice
- Wash and thinly slice the celery
- Remove stem and leaves from 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut in bite sized pieces and set aside
- Add all the veggies except cauliflower to the oil, plus the mustard seeds
- Turn the heat up a bit, and sauté for about ten minutes
- Add the cauliflower and the remaining spices, and stir fry another few minutes
- Add the beans + 2 cups water or bean cooking liquid +coconut milk, then cover and simmer on low until veggies are tender, and soup has thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring several times
- Chop the parsley and add with salt, pepper and soy sauce to taste
This pinto bean soup recipe can be varied in lots of equally tasty ways, by substituting different vegetables or beans. E.G. chick peas for pinto beans, butternut squash or potato for yam, green beans for cauliflower, fennel for celery. Add chopped kale or spinach if you like.
Don't worry if you don't have curry spice or other ingredients for pinto bean soup. Just use what you have, and it'll still taste great.
Pinto bean soup - delicious! I didn't have any cauliflower so I used green beans, as suggested. Wonderful flavor. I added a tbsp of shiro mizo - I think mizo adds depth of flavor, so I use it in a lot of recipes. The one negative is that total prep/cook time was closer to an hour. I guess I'm slow. But it was worth it. - Phil H.
25 minutes seems like a typo - I changed it to 45 minutes, which makes more sense with the directions - Savvy Veg
Your comments & questions help us improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us