Lentil Quinoa Loaf
Holiday Recipe: Gluten Free Vegan Un-Meatloaf Recipe
Vegan Lentil Loaf Rrecipe: GF variation on our regular vegan lentil loaf - one of our favorite vegetarian holiday recipes until we went gluten free.
We used quinoa instead of bulgur wheat in our lentil loaf, then added a gf breadcrumb topping.
Enjoy lentil quinoa un-meatloaf with all the traditional trimmings: cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, cashew or chickpea gravy, green beans with almonds.
Total prep & cook time: 1 hr 10 min
Nutrition Data, 133g Serving: 216 cal, 26g carb, 9g fat, 62mg sodium, 7g fiber, 9g protein, 3g Sugars, low Sodium, low Cholesterol, good source Dietary Fiber, Vit. A., Folate, Phosphorus and Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 9
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery or onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaf
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1/3 cup fine corn meal
- 1/4 cup chick pea flour
- 1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce
- 2 Tbsp gr flax seed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked brown lentils, well drained (2 cans lentils)
- 1 3/4 cups cooked quinoa
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup fine gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp ground pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 Tbsp sunflower seed oil or other neutral tasting oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Oil a 2 quart glass loaf pan or casserole dish
- Heat 3 Tbsp oil on medium heat in a sauté pan
- Saute garlic, carrots, celery or onion, and beets 2 minutes
- Reduce heat to low, add herbs and spices, stir 1 minute
- Stir in chick pea flour and brown for 2 minutes, stirring
- Add nut butter, Worcestershire or BBQ or soy sauce, vegetable stock, salt & pepper to taste and mix until well combined
- Turn off heat, add lentils and mix well
- Stir in corn meal, quinoa and parsley until evenly distributed
- Spread loaf mixture in oiled pan and smooth the top
- In a separate bowl, mix crumb topping ingredients together with your hands until mixture is crumbly
- Spread crumbs on top of the lentil loaf
- Cover the loaf with foil and bake 35 minutes
- Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes more or until topping is browned
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving
Serve with holiday fixings such as cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, cashew gravy or chickpea gravy
If you are cooking your own lentils, use 1 cup lentils. Soak for 2 hours in salted water, then drain, cover with salted water and cook until biteable but still intact - about 1/2 hour. The salt keeps the lentils from getting mushy.
The quinoa should be cooked firm. Use 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa and cook just until all the water is absorbed. Don't overcook.
Xanthan or guar gum is used in this recipe for extra binding power as gluten free goods tend to be crumbly. If you don't have it and can't get it, just leave it out, or use 1 Tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch instead.
To speed preparation of this recipe, cook the lentils and quinoa up to 24 hours ahead and refrigerate until needed.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us