Curried Lentil, Potato and Cauliflower Soup
Low fat vegan cauliflower lentil curry soup recipe
Recipe courtesy Nava Atlas, 'Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons'
Lentil, cauliflower and potato soup features a slew of compatible ingredients made even more companionable in a mildly curried broth - a perfect winter soup recipe. If a soup can be light and hearty at the same time, this is it!
We used frozen spinach instead of fresh, and served Nava's lentil soup with a scoop of cooked brown rice. Tortillas are good too, or if you feel ambitious, chapatis.
Total prep & cook time: 50 min
Nutrition Data, 333g serving: 280 calories, 52g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 50mg sodium, 15g dietary fiber, 13 g protein, This food is low in Saturated Fat, very low in Cholesterol and Sodium, good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese, very good source of Fiber, Vit C, Vit K and Folate. Estimated glycemic load: 18
- 1 1/2 Tbsp light olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed & diced
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- One 16-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsp good quality curry powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped cauliflower pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh spinach leaves OR 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Stir in turmeric, curry powder and nutmeg, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and bay leaves. Cover with 6 cups water
- Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Add the potatoes and tomatoes, and simmer until the potatoes are about half done, about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add the cauliflower and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer
- Stir in the spinach, cilantro, and lemon juice. Adjust the consistency with more water as needed, then season with salt and pepper
- Simmer over very low heat for another 5 minutes
- Serve at once or let stand for an hour before serving, then heat through as needed
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us