Greens Cranberry Walnut Salad
Easy Summer Green Salad Recipe: lettuce, spinach, arugula, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts
On a recent CA vacation, I ordered a summery salad at a pizza/pasta restaurant and loved it. I couldn't stop eating it. I finally thought to share some with my husband when it was 3/4 gone!
Their salad had candied walnuts and vinaigrette dressing. Our easy summer salad recipe has toasted walnuts and a lemon & olive oil dressing.
Raspberry vinaigrette would be nice, pecans instead of walnuts, lettuce instead of spinach - but arugula is essential.
Total prep & cook time: 20 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 93 g: 272 calories, calories from fat 202, 23 g fat, 16 g carbohydrate, 166 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber, 3 g protein, 60% RDV Vit A, 21% RDV Vit. C., 5% RDA calcium, 7% RDA Iron, very low in cholesterol, good source of manganese, very good source of Vit. A & Vit. K. Estimated glycemic load: 7.
- 2 cups washed baby spinach
- 2 cups organic mixed baby lettuce
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Lacto Veg Option: A sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves or Mediterranean herb mix
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Wash and drain the salad greens
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (a toaster oven is ideal)
- Spread the walnuts in a shallow baking dish and toast in the oven for 20 minutes, setting the rack just above the middle of the oven. Set aside to cool when toasted
- Add the salad dressing ingredients to a small jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well.
- Place salad greens in a bowl twice the size needed to hold the salad (this will make tossing it easier.)
- Sprinkle the walnuts, cranberries and optional feta over the greens
- Give the dressing a final shake, pour on the salad and toss lightly, or serve on the side
- Serve immediately
Being vegan, I asked for my salad without feta cheese, but if you eat dairy, that would also be tasty in this salad. I went for extra walnuts instead.
Enjoy this easy summer salad with a light pasta dish like Spaghetti with Lemon and Olives, or Classic Vegan Fettucine Alfredo.
Experience maximum taste and nutrition by using organic greens for this salad recipe - not critical for the cranberries and walnuts.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us