Quick, Easy Vegan Greek Tofu Salad
Tofu Salad Recipe with fried, baked or steamed tofu
Recipe courtesy of Sally & Sara Kneidel, Veggie Revolution
Greek Tofu Salad is a simple and easy main dish recipe. Baked tofu or Fried Tofu are also delicious in this tofu recipe.
Raw tofu should be steamed first for food safety reasons before adding to a raw tofu salad recipe.
Total Prep And Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 236g: 249 calories, 8g carbohydrate, 22g fat, 834 mg sodium, 3g dietary fiber, 9g protein, very low in Cholesterol, good source of Manganese. Estimated glycemic load: 3
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 cup black olives
- Cut 1 block tofu into small chunks the size of dice. Press the chunks gently with towels or cloths to absorb any excess water. Steam raw tofu for 5 - 10 minutes to kill food pathogens if you're not going to bake it
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a bowl
- Pour this marinade over the tofu and let sit for at least an hour, or up to overnight
- Meanwhile, chop veggies, stir them into the tofu mixture and toss. Or bake the tofu as below
- SV Suggestion: Or fry the marinated tofu in a little oil, and slice into strips before adding to the salad
- Optional: For Greek Tofu Bake, cut the tofu into thin slabs instead of cubes. Prepare the marinade as directed above. Lay the slabs on a baking tray, cover with marinade, and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, flipping once. Cut into strips and serve over salad or in whole wheat tortillas
- Serve on top of a bed of fresh spinach leaves or other greens
Eating raw tofu can cause food poisoning, depending on how it's packaged, transported, handled and stored. If you're not going to fry or bake the tofu, steam it for 5 - 10 minutes before marinating.
1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce would be a nice addition to the marinade - be sure to reduce the salt if you do that.