Gluten Free Cornmeal Pancakes Recipe
Egg Free And Dairy Free, Lemon Blueberry Option
GF cornmeal pancakes are also egg and dairy free, and delicious served with maple syrup or jam. Or leave out the vanilla and serve with a savory bean dish or stew. For a special treat try the lemon blueberry variation.
These gluten free pancakes should be cooked at a lower temperature and longer on each side than traditional pancakes. They'll be a deep golden brown on the bottom and come off the pan easily when they are ready to turn over.
Total prep & cook time: 20 min
Sixteen 4-inch pancakes, 4 servings
Nutrition Data, 40g Serving: 110 cal, 17g carb, 4g fat, 80mg sodium, 1g fiber, 2g sugar, 2g protein, very low Cholesterol, Estimated glycemic load 11
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tblsp. sugar
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1 Tblsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted earth balance butter spread
- Vegetable oil for pan
- Mix cornmeal, salt, and sugar in a large 6 to 8 cup pitcher
- Pour in boiling water, whisk until smooth, and then allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes
- While the cornmeal mixture stands heat a large non stick skillet on medium heat (a slightly lower temperature than for regular pancakes.)
- Stir non dairy milk, sorghum flour, baking powder, vanilla, and oil or buttery spread into the cornmeal mixture. The batter should be very thick but pourable.
- Lightly oil pan and pour out pancakes of desired size
- Cook until edges are dry and bottom is golden then flip and cook a few more minutes. Serve warm.
Lemon Blueberry Variation
- Add the zest from one lemon and 2 Tblsp lemon juice to the pancakes when adding the nondairy milk
- Fold 1 generous cup of fresh or frozen blueberries into the batter just before pouring on the pan
- These should cook even more slowly than the plain version above, so that the blueberries don't stick to the pan
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us