Quick Easy Vegetable Curry
Indian Curry Recipe, Full of Flavor, Texture and Color
From 'Not Just For Vegetarians, Delicious Homestyle Cooking, the Meatless Way', by Geraldine Hartman (out of print)
Looking for something a bit different for dinner? Don't let your family 'write off' curries until you have tried this one. Quick to make, full of flavor, texture and colorful too.
Yield: 6 Servings
Total Prep and Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Nutrition Data, 196 g Serving: 361 cal, 34g carb, 23g fat, 241mg sodium, 5g fiber, 11 g protein, good source Vit C, Vit A, low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 15
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger root (peel first)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced in circles
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sliced green beans (bite-sized)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chick peas, precooked and drained (if using canned rinse and drain thoroughly)
- 1 Tbsp good quality curry powder (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt OR soy yogurt OR 1 cup soy milk + 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Garnish: 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- In a large fry-pan or wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add ginger and sauté 2 - 3 minutes to release flavor
- Add vegetables and sauté for 5 more minutes
- Add spices, cover and steam for 5 minutes over low heat or until all vegetables are cooked but still crunchy, don't overcook
- Remove from heat, stir in yogurt. Serve immediately with rice or couscous, topped with cashews as a garnish
For a complete, satisfying meal, eat this vegetable curry with Geraldine's other recipe, Rice and Red Lentil Salad and chapatis.
SV Note: If you don't have curry powder, try 1 tsp ground turmeric + 2 tsp ground coriander, with a pinch of cayenne. If you're vegan, you can substitute 2 T. of lemon juice and 1/4 cup tahini + 3/4 cup water for the yogurt.
Geraldine's excellent cookbook is unfortunately out of print.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us