Easy Curried Chick Peas, Vegan Indian Recipe
Quick Easy & Satisfying Chick Peas A.K.A. Garbanzo Beans
Curried chick peas or garbanzo beans, tasty and satisfying Indian style recipe, great over rice or any grain, or with a chapati or tortilla.
This recipe freezes well, and if you cook your own beans, you can also make double to freeze for future yummy bean things, like Hummus, or Tomato Chickpea Soup.
Total prep & cook time: 15 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 127 g: 236 calories, 34g carb, 7g fat, 300mg sodium, 10g fiber, 11g protein, 6g sugars, low Cholesterol, good source Folate and Manganese. Estimated glycemic load: 13
- 3 cups cooked chick peas or garbanzo beans (2 cans, drain and reserve liquid)
- Bean cooking liquid and|or water - 1 1/2 cups total
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Optional: Pinch of hing (asoefetida) OR 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 - 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: 4 green cardamom pods
- Optional: 1 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- Optional: 1 - 2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Drain the canned or home cooked beans and reserve the liquid
- Heat the oil on low in a large saucepan. Saute minced onion if using, until soft. Add spices and heat for 1 minute
- Puree 1/2 cup of the beans in a food processor or blender with the liquid, or use a potato masher or fork. You can also puree the beans with a stick blender.
- Add the pureed beans to the pot and blend with the spices
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water or cooking liquid as needed.
- Add the remaining beans, salt and pepper to taste, lime or lemon juice and cilantro
Recipe Tip: It's much more economical to cook your own beans - see our Basic Bean Recipe for directions.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us