Healthy Soup Recipe: Cream of Celery Soup
Delicately Flavored, Easy to Make Cream Soup Recipe
Easy healthy soup recipe, cream of celery soup is fabulous with any other food, or by itself if you're eating light.
Personally, we feel that cream of celery soup is especially delicious with toasted or grilled sandwiches or applesauce raisin spice muffins.
Homemade celery soup has very little resemblance to any canned cream of celery soup you've ever eaten - about the only thing they have in common is the celery, and I'm not sure about that.
Total prep & cook time: 30 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving: 131 cal, 6g fat, 220mg sodium, 18g carb, 3g fiber, 2g sugars, 3g protein, low cholesterol, good source Riboflavin, Manganese, Vit K, Vit C, Vit A. Estimated glycemic load 7
White Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp chick pea flour OR white wheat flour
- 1 tsp gr. fennel seed
- 1 tsp gr. coriander seed
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
White Sauce Directions:
- Heat the olive oil on medium low in a shallow saucepan
- Mix the flour, fennel and coriander with the oil to form a thick paste
- Heat for 10 minutes
- Add the almond milk to the flour & oil, and stir with a whisk until smooth
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaf or 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 ginger slice
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Fresh gr. black pepper to taste
- Optional: Croutons
- Prep the celery, potatoes and garlic
- Add them to an 8 qt soup pot with the bay leaves, thyme, garlic cloves and ginger slice
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer the soup until the veggies are tender - about 15 minutes
- Remove the bay leaves and garlic cloves from the soup
- Add the chopped parsley, reserving 2 Tbsp for garnish
- Blend the soup in 2 batches in a blender, or use a blender stick. It should be very smooth and a uniform bright green
- Add the white sauce to the soup and stir until well mixed
- Heat the soup gently for 5 - 10 minutes, but don't boil
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve cream of celery soup immediately sprinkled with chopped parsley and optional croutons
Celery is on the Dirty Dozen List of foods grown with the most pesticides, so go for organic if you can get it.
Organic celery has far more flavor and nutrition than conventionally grown celery - and will make your cream of celery soup taste like ambrosia.
Parsley is not tampered with much, so it's not as important to get organic parsley. But it's a necessary ingredient for nutrition, flavor and to create that lovely green color.
Celery is high in sodium, so keep that in mind when you're adding salt.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us