Cranberry Walnut Swirl Cookie Recipe
Easy Vegan Christmas Cookie Recipe, As Pretty As They Are Tasty!
Cranberry Walnut Swirl Cookie Recipe: The tart sweetness of cranberries and the pretty contrast of red swirled in vanilla cookie dough make these pinwheel cookies one of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes.
Make this easy holiday cookie recipe ahead of time, freeze the rolls, then slice and bake as needed - when you're too busy to bake. We recommend doubling the recipe!
Total prep & cook time: 20 min
Yield: 30 Cookies
Nutrition Data Per Cookie, 21g: 85 cal, 11g carbs, 4g fat, 46mg sodium, 1g fiber, 1g protein, low Saturated Fat, low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 7
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
- 1/2 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1/8 cup non-dairy milk with 1tsp lemon juice and 1 Tblsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 Tblsp grated orange peel
- 2 Tblsp non-dairy milk
- 3 Tblsp brown sugar
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside
- Using an electric mixer beat buttery spread, sugar, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl until fluffy
- Stir in dry ingredients
- Shape dough on wax paper into a five inch square
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour
- Make the filling by processing cranberries, walnuts, and orange peel in the food processor until finely chopped
- On a sheet of waxed paper, roll dough into a 10 inch square
- Mix non-dairy milk and brown sugar and brush onto dough
- Evenly sprinkle dough with cranberry mixture leaving a 1/2 inch border on 2 opposite edges
- From one border roll the dough into a tight log, pressing to seal at the opposite edge. If the dough is crumbly use the waxed paper to help form the log, lifting the paper to bring up the dough and use your other hand to gently roll the dough while continuing to lift the dough with the paper
- Wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and prepare the cookie sheets
- Cut the log thaw into 1/4 inch slices
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until just beginning to brown around the edges
Cookie dough handling: Conventional roll cookie wisdom says that cookie dough should be very well chilled, handled as little as possible and rolled with as little flour as possible. But cookie dough made with Earth balance and without eggs can be very crumbly.
To make handling easier, sandwich the dough between sheets of wax paper when rolling. If the dough is very crumbly you can even knead the dough briefly to form a more cohesive dough before rolling.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us