Chinese Cabbage Tofu Soup
Quick & easy, light & delicious cabbage tofu soup recipe
Chinese Cabbage Tofu Soup Recipe: quick & easy, light & delicious, mushrooms & onions add robust flavor, water chestnuts add a nice crunch.
This easy vegan tofu cabbage soup recipe is a great intro to Asian stir-fries, and perfect with a hearty Asian rice or noodle dish. Make it a light meal by simmering some Asian noodles in the broth before adding to the soup.
This soup tastes even better the next day, after the flavors have mellowed & deepened.
Total Prep & Cook Time: 30 Min
Yield: 4 Big Servings
Nutrition Data, 169 g Serving: 198 cal, 31 g carb, 6g fat, 201mg sodium, 3g fiber, 8g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit A, C, K. Estimated glycemic load 17
- 1 Tbsp olive or sunflower seed oil
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cups firmly packed, finely shredded napa or savoy cabbage
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced small white or brown button mushrooms
- One 6 ounce can sliced water chestnuts. Drain and slice thin.
- One 32 ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth (OR homemade soup stock)
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice OR 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce - or soy sauce of your choice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup snow peas or frozen peas
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- Heat the soupstock to boiling in a separate sauce pan.
- Heat the oil on medium low in a large soup pot
- Add the onion and sauté until transparent
- Add the mushrooms and sauté another few minutes
- Add the cabbage, and snow peas if you're using them. Sauté just until wilted
- Add the frozen peas if using, tofu, soup stock, lemon or lime juice or vinegar, soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 5 - 10 minutes or until heated through
- Remove from the heat. Add parsley and serve at once
Cooking Tip: It's important not to overcook the veggies in this soup, so it doesn't develop a strong boiled cabbage taste. Let the soup simmer just until the veggies are tender.