Cashew Veggie Fried Rice a.k.a 'The Rice Dish'
Nutritious, Delicious Gluten Free Vegan Casserole Recipe
Thanks to daughter Zoë & husband Bryan for this easy but substantial stir fry - great as dinner for 2 or 3, with leftovers to take to work the next day.
Amp up the protein and make this a main dish recipe, by adding the optional chickpeas or tofu.
Soy Crumbles are also delicious in this recipe. At the end of cooking, just stir in the already cooked crumbles that you happen to have in the fridge - right?!
Total prep & cook time: 30 min
Nutrition Data, 243g Serving: 293 cal, 133 Calories From Fat, 16g fat, 8g saturated fat, 34g carb, 125mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4g sugars, 7g protein, low Cholesterol, good source Vit. A, Vit. C, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 17
- 2 cups cooked rice or quinoa (make ahead or cook while you prep the veggies)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, minced OR 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/3 cup cashew pieces or chopped cashews
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small summer squash
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- Optional: 3 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped, OR a 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- Optional: 1 small bunch kale, chard, spinach or other leafy greens
- Optional: 1 - 2 cups green beans, peas or cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp brown mustard seed OR 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Optional: pinch cayenne or chipotle powder - more if you like it hot
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Optional: 1 cup cooked chickpeas OR fried tofu OR soy crumbles
- Optional: 1/2 can coconut milk, or 1 cup
- Heat oil on medium in a large shallow pan
- Peel and mince the garlic and ginger
- Peel the carrot and slice or dice in small pieces
- Wash & trim the celery, slice thinly crosswise
- Trim the zucchini and quarter lengthwise, then cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- Sauté* the onions until soft and golden
- Halfway through, add the garlic, ginger and brown mustard seeds
- Add the cashews, celery & carrots and sauté 5 minutes
- Turn heat to medium low, cover and cook 5 minutes
- Turn up heat to medium, add the zucchini and summer squash and sauté until they start to get tender
- Stir in the tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the spices & the greens and and sauté another 2 minutes
- Stir in the coconut milk
- Add the rice, fried tofu, salt and soy sauce or braggs, cilantro, and stir for a minute, breaking up the chunks of rice
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes
Almost any veggie combo will work for this stir fry recipe. E.G. I've used fresh garlic & ginger, jalapeno, carrot, zucchini, and red russian kale from the garden. Quinoa or millet work as well as rice.
The optional coconut milk makes the recipe rich and creamy - but makes it higher in calories. Add a little more veggie stock for a softer texture without added calories.
*'Sauté' means fry on medium heat, stirring constantly. It's different from stir fry, which uses more heat, and is the end step in cooking. Usually after sautéing, the contents are subjected to another step, like steaming or adding to a soup or stew.
Keep the same ratio of rice & veg & nuts, and 'the rice dish' will expand nicely.