Vegan Blueberry Streusel Cake, GF Option
Easy Citrusy Blueberry Dessert For Breakfast Or Anytime
Blueberry Streusel Cake: Sometimes I'm feeling too lazy to spoon out the muffin batter. Sometimes I just want cake for breakfast. So one day I just put the muffin batter into a cake pan.
The kids love cake for breakfast, and I love that Blueberry Streusel Cake isn't too sweet.
On the other hand, this cake makes a perfect dessert served with ice cream! - Sarah Kingsbury
Total Prep & Cook Time: 60 Min.
Nutrition Data, 91g Serving: 199 cal, fat calories 45, 5g fat, 35g carb, 1g saturated fat, 152mg sodium, 13g sugars, 1g fiber, 3g protein, low saturated fat, very low cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 23
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- Egg replacer: 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 cups (1 pint) blueberries mixed with 2 Tbsp flour
Gluten Free Option:
- Use 2 1/2 cups gf baking flour mix + 2 Tbsp cornstarch instead of 3 cups flour.
- If there is NO xanthan gum in the gf mix, add 1 tsp, or increase the ground flax seed to 2 Tbsp.
- Add 5 - 10 minutes to baking time as it takes longer to brown.
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance or other vegan butter substitute.
- Mix flour and sugar together
- Cut butter into dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until it forms a crumbly mixture
- You may need to rub the mixture with clean hands to incorporate the butter completely
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan, set aside
- Make streusel topping, set aside
- Combine with whisk or beaters: juice, soy milk, oil, and ground flax seed. Set aside
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest
- Stir wet ingredients into dry until just mixed
- Fold blueberries into the batter
- Scrape the batter into a pan, making sure it is even
- Sprinkle streusel over top of the batter
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until topping is golden and a fork inserted in the center comes out clean
- Let the cake cool on a rack (in the pan) for 15 minutes before serving
I used 1/4 cup solid coconut oil + 1/4 tsp salt for the streusel topping, in place of the 1/3 cup Earth Balance butter substitute, and that worked well.
For the cake, I used 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, but any cooking oil would work, except olive oil.
Barley or light spelt flour can substitute for all purpose wheat flour.
When using a darker granulated sugar, the topping will brown more quickly, so keep an eye on it. If the top is browned but the cake isn't quite done, cover the top loosely with foil wrap.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us