Blueberry Oatmeal Lemon Muffins
Quick Easy Healthy Vegan|Vegetarian Muffin Recipe
Substantial, chewy oatmeal muffins are perfect for breakfast, or with soups, salads, fruit, or smoothies - a great way to get oatmeal into oatmeal haters.
Feel free to tinker with this muffin recipe - it'll work as long as you keep the basic wet|dry proportions. Gluten free version.
Variations: Use other sweetener instead of cane sugar (keep the total liquid the same - 3 cups). In place of blueberries, use 3/4 cup dates plus 3/4 walnuts or other nuts.
18 medium muffins
Total prep & cook time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Data, 103g Serving: 287 cal, 42g carb, 12g fat, 280mg sodium, 1g fiber, 22g Sugars, 3g protein, very low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 28
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup unbleached cane sugar or brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp lemon zest (finely grated lemon rind)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup oil or melted butter or vegan margarine
- 1 1/4 cup plain unsweetened soy or dairy yogurt
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees & oil 2 muffin pans, eighteen cups total
- Mix the wet ingredients well and set aside
- Chop the nuts
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix lightly with just a few strokes - don't mind lumps
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cups. Fill pans to the top - muffins should double in size.
- Bake for 20 - 25 min, middle of the oven, until browned & firm to the touch
- Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the muffins & turn them out on the rack
- May be eaten immediately!
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us