Black Eyed Pea Curry Recipe
Indian Recipe: Crockpot or Pressure Cooker Curried Black Eyed Peas
Curried Black Eyed Peas: Indian recipe, especially quick and easy with canned black eyed peas. But - you'll get fresher, tastier results when you cook your own! Directions are included with the recipe. :-)
If you want to make this black eyed pea recipe super simple, do what my friend Odette does, and just throw everything in the slowcooker - except the liquid - without any other preparation. The results won't be quite the same, but will still be very tasty. Add liquid as needed toward the end of cooking.
Total Prep And Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Nutrition Data, 105g Serving: 259 cal, 42g carb, 4g fat, 241mg sodium, 8g fiber, 16g protein, low Cholesterol. Estimated glycemic load 21
- 3 cups cooked black eyed peas (1 cup dried) OR 2 cans rinsed and drained
- 1 - 2 cups bean cooking liquid or water + unsalted vegetable bouillon cube OR unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or other mild cooking oil
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled, stem removed and minced OR 1 tiny pinch hing or asoefetida
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes (3 small tomatoes or 2 large)
- 1 tsp gr coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Optional: 1 tsp tomato paste or to taste (to thicken the curry and warm up the color)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp green chili paste (this will make it very hot)
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Cooking Black Eyed Peas:
- Rinse black eyed peas, and soak in unsalted water for 2 - 4 hours. Cut soaking time to one hour by starting with boiling water
- Drain and rinse black eyed peas well, removing any foreign material or spoiled beans. Add fresh water to cover, bring to a boil, skim the foam, and simmer until soft (20 - 30 minutes)
- Pressure cooker:
- Rinse beans well, add to 4 qt cooker, add bay leaf, and unsalted water to cover. Lock cover and bring up to high pressure. Cook under pressure for 3 minutes with natural pressure release. Drain the peas, reserving the liquid
- After soaking and rinsing the black eyed peas, add peas to the crockpot, with water to cover. Cover and cook on low for 3 - 4 hours, or until soft. Drain the beans, reserving the liquid
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium low
- Stir fry minced jalapeno, ginger, garlic and mustard seeds on medium-low heat until the seeds start to pop
- Add the rest of the spices and stir for 1 minute
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir fry until soft
- Add the black eyed peas and 1 cup of stock stock to just cover the peas. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add more stock if needed, and optional green chili paste and tomato paste if desired
- Add the chopped cilantro
- Serve immediately - fabulous with a squirt of lime juice!
Recipe Tips & Video:
I highly recommend using a pressure cooker or crockpot or slowcooker to save time when cooking bean dishes.
Watch our video, Basic Bean Cooking (with Kidney Beans and Black Eyed Peas) and see our basic bean cooking recipe for more bean cooking info.
Vary the spices and amounts of all ingredients as you wish. This is not an exact recipe!
If you're making this recipe in a slow cooker, leave out the liquid, and add as needed toward the end of cooking.