Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Quick Easy Delicious Vegan Burger Recipe From Shelley Collins
This black bean burger recipe is flexible, and works well if you stick with the directions and watch the wet|dry balance. There is a GF option for the burger mix.
These veggie burgers are great on whole grain burger buns with standard burger fixings - lettuce, tomato, mayo, ketchup, mustard. We added avocado and cucumber too.
They are also delicious as a side, with steamed veggies and no bun.
Total Prep and Cook Time: 40 minutes
10 Servings (10 large veggie burgers)
Nutrition Data Per 75g Serving: 104 cal, 16g carb, 3g fat, 157mg sodium, 5g fiber, 5g protein, low Saturated Fat & Cholesterol, good source Vit C, Folate, Magnesium, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 6 (without bun).
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked black beans (1 can, drained)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs (Stale whole grain bread broken into small pieces, then blended or whizzed in a food processor to make crumbs
- Gluten Free Option: Substitute 1 cup dry gluten free bread crumbs + 2 Tbsp ground flax seed. Use certified GF rolled oats instead of quick oats.
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic minced (depends how much you like garlic)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper, chopped fine
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped fine
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dry ginger
- 1/8 tsp cayenne or chipotle pepper
- 1 - 2 Tbsp tahini or ketchup
- 1 - 2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- Optional: 1 tsp black strap molasses
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium low
- Sauté onion in oil until soft
- Add the celery, garlic & pepper, fry until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated
- Mix in the spices and heat through