Green Power Salad Recipe & Variations
Easy healthy basic green salads - WAY Beyond Iceberg Lettuce!
Our green salad recipe is easy to make. It's also healthy, vibrant, POWERFUL, full of delicious ingredients and bursting with nutrition.
Forget those anemic salads consisting of ancient wilted iceberg lettuce, topped with a few limp tomato and cucumber slices.
Create your own green salad recipe from the list of ingredients below, and serve with a simple lemon & oil dressing, or low cal Creamy Cauliflower Dressing.
Green Salad Ingredients:
Choose what you like from the following list, and add your own variations
- Salad greens, rinsed and dried: Lettuce torn into bite sized pieces, baby spinach, arugula, mixed salad greens, kale, etc.
- alfalfa sprouts, sunflower sprouts
- artichoke hearts
- tomato slices or cherry tomatos
- cucumber slices
- avocado cut into 3/4" cubes
- shredded carrot
- shredded red cabbage
- bell pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
- olives, pitted, and sliced if desired
- sliced or diced onions
- sliced radishes
- chopped fresh herbs, whole basil leaves
- nuts: sunflower seeds, walnuts, or pecans
- dried cherries, cranberries or raisins
- sun dried tomatoes
- cooked sweet corn kernels
- crumbled feta cheese, soy cheese
- crumbled tofu
- cooked black beans, garbanzo beans or kidney beans
- Fried cubes of tempeh, tofu, etc
Come up with your own favorite green salad recipe from the list of ingredients above, and top it off with the simple lemon and oil dressing below, or our low cal Creamy Cauliflower Dressing.
Make your green salad recipe the main dish by serving with bread and a dollop of hummus, serve along with soup and sandwiches, or make it a side dish with whatever you're having for dinner.
Lemon and Oil Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Optional: 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t black pepper
- Place salad greens in a bowl twice the size needed to hold the salad (this will make tossing it easier.)
- Choose and prepare 5-9 other salad ingredients from the list, try to create a pleasing mix of tastes, colors and textures.
- Arrange your chosen salad ingredients on top of the greens
- If all the salad will be eaten right away, dress the salad with your dressing of choice.
- If you will be storing some salad for later, dress the individual servings, since an undressed salad stores better.
- Toss and serve.
Salad Dressing Directions:
- Place all ingredients in a small jar with a leak proof lid.
- Close lid tightly and shake until dressing is well mixed.
- Use to dress salads, cooked veggies, etc.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us