Quick Easy Healthy Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
12 big banana nut muffins will last an hour, if you're lucky
Banana nut muffin recipe with vegetarian, vegan, gluten free options. Delicious by themselves as a healthy snack, with soups or salads, for brunch, lunch or dinner.
Dried fruit is a delicious addition to this recipe! Or chocolate chips instead of nuts. You can use all whole grain flour, but expect a denser, chewier muffin.
Total prep & cook time: 35 min
Nutrition Data Per Serving, Ovo Lacto Version, 83 g: 205 calories, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 358 mg sodium, 3g dietary fiber, 6 g protein, low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol, good source of Selenium, and a very good source of Manganese. Estimated glycemic load: 20
Nutrition Data Per Serving, Vegan Version, 104 g: 251 calories, 37 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 361 mg sodium, 4 g dietary fiber, 6 g protein, low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol, good source of Manganese. Estimated glycemic load: 21
- 1 1/4 c. unbl white flour
- 1 1/4 c. wh wheat flour OR spelt flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- GF Option: 2 cups all purpose gf flour mix + 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 c. unbleached cane sugar or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pureed ripe banana (3 small, spotty but not mushy)
- VEGETARIAN: 1/2 cup buttermilk + 1 egg + 3/4 c warm water
- VEGAN: 1 1/3 c soy or almond milk (room temperature)+ 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- GF VEGAN: Add 1 Tbsp gr flax seed to the wet mixture. Reduce flour to 2 cups and omit cornstarch. Don't add xanthan gum. The all purpose mix on this page works great.
- 1/4 c melted butter, veggie spread, or safflower oil
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional: 3/4 c. chopped dried apricots OR currants. If you use unsulfured apricots, be sure to soak them in hot water for an hour or so to soften
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees & oil a muffin pan
- Chop & measure the walnuts, and the apricots or currants if you're using them
- Measure & mix the dry ingredients, including the nuts
- Blend the banana, and add or subtract from the milk to get the right measurements. Add the other liquid and blend. A blender works like a charm, otherwise, mash the bananas, then whisk in everything else except the chopped apricots if you're adding them
- Add the dried fruit to the wet ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix lightly with just a few strokes
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cups
- Bake for 25 min, middle of the oven, until browned & firm to the touch
- Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the muffins & turn them out on the
rack. May be eaten immediately
Chocolate chips are a great substitute for walnuts, if nuts are not your thing. My 10 year old granddaughter was very happy with that variation!
The vegan version is denser, but works well. Bananas are sticky enough to hold the muffins together without using cornstarch, but we added it anyway! Leave it out if it doesn't agree with you.
If you end up with more than 1 1/2 cups of banana, don't fret. Just reduce the liquid by a corresponding amount.
Makes 12 large banana muffins: Fill the muffin cups close to the top - the muffins should double in size.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us