Baked Tofu and Vegetables
Healthy low fat vegan casserole recipe - mac'n'cheese without the mac
Baked Tofu & Vegetables: Healthy low fat vegan casserole recipe, with cheezy sauce, various veggies, extra firm tofu - think of it as vegan mac'n' cheeze without the mac!
Hearty, good looking, satisfying, ideal for a holiday or company meal or a potluck. Perfect served with steamed greens or green salad.
Baked Tofu & Veggies featured on SV Blog, one of 10 High Protein Vegan Recipes!
Total Prep & Cook Time: 70 Min
Nutrition Data, 250g Serving: 342 calories, 29g carb, 19g fat, 291mg sodium, 7g fiber, 22g protein, 5g Sugars, low Cholesterol. Good source of Protein, Folate, Calcium, Copper, Vit. A, Vit. K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vit. B6, Vit. B12 and Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 12
You'll need a 2 - 3 quart oven proof casserole dish for this recipe
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 slice wheat or gluten free bread, cubed
- Optional: 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, or cold water for 2 - 4 hours, or overnight in the fridge
- 10 oz box firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup plain unweetened almond milk OR unsalted vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos OR low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar (any kind)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp mellow miso (white miso)
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot OR corn starch (buy organic for non-gmo)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tsp onion flakes
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup green beans chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 small carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large stalk celery, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley and/or basil leaves
- Optional: 1 cup chopped kale or broccoli
- 14 oz package extra or super firm tofu, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaf or winter savory
- 1 tsp dried marjoram leaf
- Process walnuts and nutrional yeast in food processor until they are fine crumbs OR chop walnuts fine by hand and combine with nutritional yeast
- Add bread cubes to food processor and process with walnuts and nutritional yeast until bread is coarse crumbs OR chop bread fine, then add to walnuts and nutritional yeast
- Set aside topping
- Combine soaked cashews, silken tofu and almond milk in food processor and process until mixture is smooth
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and process until well combined
- Casserole Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Peel, prep and chop veggies and fresh herbs
- Steam chopped veggies for 7 - 10 minutes or until tender crisp, adding kale or other leafy greens at the last just until they're wilted
- Combine steamed veggies, fresh herbs, cubed tofu and dried herbs in the casserole dish
- Pour in the sauce and stir into veggies
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the filling
- Cover the casserole lightly with foil or a lid
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Uncover the casserole and bake for another 20 minutes (to let the topping brown) - keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too brown!
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving
Use seitan, tempeh, veggie sausage or beans in place of the extra firm tofu.
Make the sauce soy free by doubling the cashews and almond milk and increasing the starch to 1/4 cup.
I chose those particular veggies because they all cook in the same amount of time. If you want to use green leafy veggies, just wilt them for a few seconds before adding. You don't need to steam soft veg like zucchini, summer squash, peppers or broccoli - just chop them small.
If you want to add fresh onion or fresh garlic, water saute them until soft and transparent, or fry in 1 tsp of oil.
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us