How To Cook Tofu: Simple, Easy Baked Tofu Recipe
Use Versatile Baked Tofu in (almost) Endless Veg Recipes
Baked tofu keeps well in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
We suggest doubling the recipe so you'll have plenty of baked tofu in the fridge for quick & easy meals (see 10 Tasty Things below).
We love baked tofu with brown rice or quinoa and roasted veggies with chick pea gravy.
Cook Time: 30 Min, 1 hr to marinate
See Below: 10 Tasty Things to Do with Baked Tofu
Nutrition Data Per Serving: 166 cal, 7g carb, 10g fat, 266mg sodium, 2g fiber, 14g protein, low cholesterol, good source Vit. K, calcium. Estimated glycemic load 4.
Baked Tofu Ingredients
- 1 water pack block extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 2 Tbsp vinegar (balsamic or apple cider or a mixture)
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (recommend reduced sodium as cooking wine is salted)
- 1 - 3 tsp sugar or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke OR smoked paprika
- 2 - 3 cloves fresh garlic minced OR 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 scallions minced OR 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- fresh ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Optional: 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger OR 1 tsp ground ginger
Marinating and Baking the Tofu:
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a jar, screw the lid on tight, and shake until well mixed
- Press the block of tofu between an old dishtowel or paper towels to remove any excess water
- Slice the tofu in 1/2 inch slices, and lay side-by-side in a flat baking pan
- Spread the marinade over and under the tofu slices
- Cover and marinate 1 hour or more in the fridge, turning once or twice if possible
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Arrange the tofu slices on a baking sheet, oiled or covered with parchment paper.
- Bake 30 minutes
- Turn over halfway through the baking
- Less baking time, if it looks very done halfway through
- Broil for a few minutes on each side to give the baked tofu a crusty finish